I'm starting to get used to the new town (but not to this oppressive heat wave we currently have!) and found my way to Office Max and to Michael's (which was in the next town over, but still, not too far away!) to collect some materials for the project I wanted to attempt today - my Teacher Keeper.
I actually made one this past spring when Angi showed me her "big book of everything". A central place to keep all your important documents...hello, brilliant idea! So I quick whipped one up too, with my then-limited creating and envisioning skills. This is what it looked like:
Notice how advanced the design is...and the fact that the page for the front cover doesn't fill the entire pocket. Blech!!
And the inside:
I could only have as many tabs as came in the package of page dividers I had purchased, and I was at the mercy of the colors they decided to include in the package. I'm not a huge fan of reds and yellows and the "warm" colors... I'm more of a green-blue-purple kind of girl. So needless to say, I haven't been totally thrilled with the binder I had. And some of the sections that I chose to create were not necessarily things that I would need to access on a regular basis. Sooooo I decided that today I would make it my project to give my teacher binder a makeover!!
After shopping, I came back with these supplies:
Michael's had sets of cardstock in my favorite color schemes - I was so excited!! And that's right friends...I bought myself a paper trimmer!! No more having to trim sides time and again to make sure they are straight and even...boom! Now I can do it in one fell swoop! (Plus, I had a 50% off 1 item coupon for Michael's... how could I not?) :)
So I got crafty, and this is the end result, of which I am 110% prouder than my first attempt!!
I even browsed around Pinterest for some naming inspiration, and came across Mrs. Pollard's creation, which you can see on her blog here. I loved the name "teacher keeper" because it rhymes (for the most part) and literally it's going to keep everything useful that I need. Yay! I love using scrapbooking paper for the outside of binders now, because I can cut it to fit, and usually the pages have far more design than I could ever think to dream up! Huge improvement!
Inside, I used Kristen's binder labels, found here, for the larger section labels. I created the smaller ones, based on some of the same categories she used. I have (the all-caps are her categories, and the sub-headings are mine):
AND I was able to do them all in the color scheme that I like!! I'm so excited with how the binder turned out, that now I kind of want to go through some of the pages I'm going to put inside and retype them...which I actually might do! But probably tomorrow, because I should get some sleep! And Libby kitty wants some attention now too... so that might be a project for tomorrow! :)